Showing 1–12 of 37 results
Movement & Balance Tools & Equipment
Movement and Balance- The ability to maintain a controlled body position, whether it is sitting at a table, walking on an uneven surface or stepping up onto a kerb. To function effectively we need to maintain control during both still and moving activities. With good balance and coordination there is less likelihood of injury.
Activities to help improve balance and coordination.
- Balance Beams: Walking over beams that make the trunk work hard to maintain an upright position.
- Use Toss Bags in conjunction with beams or scooter boards.
- Unstable swings and moving games including suspended climbing ladders and jungle gyms. When swings move in unexpected ways it forces the trunk muscles to work harder.
- Scooter Board walking using the board lying on tummy and using hands to walk forward or back ward.
- Swimming: Involves the body having to work against resistance of the water, thus providing better awareness of where the body is in space.
- Hopscotch: Requires the child to switch movement patterns frequently and rapidly.
- Stepping stone games with big jumps (i.e. no steps between the ‘stones’) challenge a child’s balance.
- Scooter Board – Using a scooter board is great for strengthening both the arms and the trunk / core.
- Obstacle course using any or all of these activities to make a obstacle course.